Wednesday, September 11, 2013

8 or 10 Tips For Teen Filmmakers

So you got a camera and now you want to make videos. Either you will film something and put that baby down, or you will hold on to it and become the next Steven Spielberg. Maybe you want to be the next generations greatest filmmaker or simply tell stories visually. There's one problem; your age. Continue below for some guidance by a teen who thought age was an obstacle. 


To start this off, I would like to say that in no way shape or form do I have the right to tell someone how to do something. I couldn't even explain certain basics of filmmaking. But I can tell you what I've learned, and what I think is right. Let's get started.

1. Be original and dream big. 
   Often times, and like myself, people come into the world of film hoping to become the next Steven Spielberg. First of all, people have already seen Spielberg. While they may still love him, they want to see something new. So dream to be the first you, and not a repeat. Ah, dream. Like I said, dream big, but also remember to act big. Do things that will progress you and get you a step closer.

2. Be professional. 
   Not to long ago, I had a scenario where I got really upset, and acted unprofessionally. I sent a script to someone, and they disliked it. At first, I blamed them for insulting me, then I came to the conclusion that it was my fault. The script had typos, and should have been in an outline form. For that certain project, it was more of an effects and improvisation skit, that happened to be put in short film script. So in the end, it made no sense. If someone upsets you are criticizes you, listen. What they are telling you is important.

3. Listen, Learn, and Practice. 
   Listen to any advice given to you. Usually, you see nothing wrong with your product, but a second opinion is what can really help you improve. What you are trying to do is get something across to an audience, and if you can't do that then maybe what the critic says is right. When they tell you something, and you don't completely agree, still put it to practice. If it turns out better, then you gain something. If their way doesn't work, maybe you were right in the first place. Always try new things, and don't stick to a routine until you have one that works well.

4. Write Right. 
   Write often. Write often and do it right. Learn how to format a script. This is something I am still working on.

5. Hang out with Older Filmmakers. 
   While they may not be as fun as us, they can be lots of help. Truth is, they've probably had more time to learn about filmmaking, techniques, and the history behind it all. It's important to learn those things and to steal their knowledge!

6. Find A Crowd.
   Having those people that are into the same things as you. It helps you grow together. Find the people that have the same dedication and interest as you.

7. Be Dedicated. 
    You have to be willing to make sacrifices for filmmaking. While you may lose friends, do what truly makes you happy. Filmmaking has become a way of life for me and it's all I breathe. Therefore I will lose friends, but in the end I will be doing what makes me happy. When the time comes, I may be rewarded for all I lost.

8. Don't Let School Be An Obstacle.
   School is very important, but it shouldn't be an obstacle nor should it be an excuse. They are there to educate you, and all your life they have told you that it's for your future and career. Simply tell them you are tackling your career now. Don't wait to be out of school before you do.

9. Don't Let Age Be An Obstacle. 
   People will underestimate you, question you, and tell you what to do. Don't listen. (This may totally go against rule 3.) Recently, someone questioned my ability to make a feature film. I guess because I am younger, and appear to be less experienced I don't have the possibility of making one. DREAM BIG, DO BIG. These people that tell me this have never made a feature themselves, so why would I take that advice? I mean, come on. It's all about trial and error with filmmaking. Don't be ashamed of your age, and play it just as big as the rest do.

10. Gear? It's a Story. 
   I do it for a final product. I'm not a filmmaker that's going to sit here for hours and hours to talk to you about gear, because honestly, like the audience I want to see a great story, and not the gear that made it. It makes me happy to have expensive gear, but I tend to focus on what is really magical. Focus on the story you want to create, and not the gear that is going to. That should be the last thought on your mind. STORY IS THE GOODNESS OF LIFE. 

11. Don't Give Up. 
   I've been tempted to just drop everything and run away from it all. In the future, I may be tempted again. But everything I think and do becomes a story, so filmmaking will never stop. You may have to work a job other than film (NEVER AN OPTION FOR ME, I'M A REBEL), but keep pursuing it. You never know when your day will come. I don't know when my day will come, but the only thing I really need is food, shelter, and a camera. Define your own success. Don't give up. Don't give up. And finally, don't give up.

There you have it. 8 or 10 Tips that may help you as a young filmmaker. I should probably learn to count. Anyways, if you enjoyed this, please 'share' and also check out our links below. 

YouTube
facebook
Twitter





No comments:

Post a Comment